Lincoln Northeast High School became a reality in 1941 by uniting three northeast communities; Bethany, University Place and Havelock. These three communities were expected to join together, having had their own schools: Bethany High School, Jackson High School represented University Place, and Havelock High School. Northeast High School was to be the town’s new rival to Lincoln High School. The Rocket mascot was originally chosen from the The Rock Island Rocket, a passenger train that came through Northeast Lincoln. The school colors of Black and White were suggested as temporary colors as they could not be colors from Jackson High School (the school in University Place), or Havelock or Bethany High Schools. The Board of Education approved the temporary and neutral colors of Black and White.